Read more about how Austin Court is acting for a sustainable future.
The IET Venues group are fully committed to reducing their impact on the environment and being more sustainable, as such IET Birmingham: Austin Court has adopted the following approach across all events.
Sustainability is a hot topic in recent years as we become more aware of our environment and planet. But have you thought about how to incorporate this into your event?
- We operate on-site water purification systems to eliminate unnecessary water bottle transportation and encourage staff and clients to refill their own reusable bottles.
- We use conference pads made from recycled materials.
- We promote our video conferencing facilities for both internal and external events to reduce unnecessary travel.
- Whiteboards are placed in all meeting rooms to try and reduce the need for flipchart paper.
- Clients are provided with water in reusable glass jugs or glass bottles which is bottled in-house.
- Toilet tissue and hand towels are manufactured from recycled paper from FSC certified forests.
- We have two electric vehicle charging points on site.
TCW's carbon calculator allows you to evaluate the level of greenhouse gas emissions associated with your travel to and from our venue.
- We rigorously turn off all lighting and air conditioning when not in use.
- We use low-energy LED light bulbs across the building.
- LED lights across a large proportion of the building are installed with motion sensors.
- All large rooms have energy-efficient heating/cooling systems.
- Toilets are fitted with low water systems and sensory taps are installed in the washrooms.
- We use a BMS system (Building Management System) to monitor and control the building’s heating needs.
- Equipment (such as photocopiers) are set to automatically standby when not in use.
- Printers are set to automatically print double-sided.
- We recycle all paper, glass, copier cartridges, and batteries.
- All food waste is recycled and converted into renewable resources such as electricity, heat, and organic fertiliser.
- Our on-site water purification machines are supplied with compostable cups and are recycled with our food waste.
- Staff are reminded on a monthly basis to Reduce – Reuse – Recycle.
- We offer a reduced price for chef’s choice menu in a bid to reduce waste.
- We only use Fairtrade coffee.
- 80% of all food suppliers can be found within a 30-mile radius.
- All fish and seafood are MCS approved.
- All meat is sourced from Grade A British Retail Consortium approved suppliers.
- We only use free-range eggs, nothing from caged hens.
- Edible waste food offered to staff to consume on site (due to health & safety it can’t be offered externally).
We are part of the Green Tourism Business Scheme as an indicator of our sustainable practices.