A history of industry
IET Birmingham: Austin Court’s history can be traced back to 1803, when nail and metal good’s merchants Theodore and Philemon Price moved their business to a warehouse on Kingston Wharf.
Shared ownership to royal calling
After 1821 other metal merchants occupied the building until 1871 when Walter Showell & Sons brewers took over.
By the early 20th Century, the venue was in multiple-use, with occupants including a garage, a cycle company, a paint manufacturer, and a maker of Iglodine, which was used in factory first aid boxes.
The site was also used for goods ranging from lime and cement to wartime gas.
On top of all this industrial use, the building was also the site used for storing the bunting for King George VI’s coronation.